You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 1 month ago by Michelle Cox.

• Author

• Time. Without a dedicated HR staff/dept; it becomes very time consuming to find the time to work on engagement activities; building trust; recruiting new staff; dealing with problem staff.

• Oh, I totally agree. I would add to that that one of my biggest time wasters is not having the best tools to do the job. Our EMR goes down frequently, takes forever to load pages, etc. EVeryone feels disengaged when they’re just trying to get through the day.

• Employee engagement is not prioritized high enough in our organization. All senior leaders will say it is very important, but there are so many other fires that it is challenging to find the time and energy to begin a more proactive culture.

• Anonymous

I agree. Employee engagement is not a priority in our organization also.

• We have added four new locations to our organization over the last couple of years and it has been very hard to teach the employees who work at these locations about our culture and get them engaged in the work that the organization is trying to do. I haven’t been able to find enough hours in the day to dedicate time to each location and the people that work there.

• Our leadership team is dedicated to employee engagement and its demonstrated from day 1 during recruitment phase. The organization has total of 280 staff so in comparison to a much larger organization, I can see where it would be challenging if the HR department I unable to support with their staff. We have an employee engagement committee which has reps from all facilities. when attempting to recruit a provider, the entire team is involved and inclusive of recruiting ” the family” to ensure a better understanding of the community culture.

• One of my challenges is time, I agree, but my door is almost always open for their concerns. Another is getting everyone to be open about their work and the things that hinder them in order to provide support and engagement. Linda and I work on the same system and it is very frustrating to not know how much you will be able to accomplish because of the lost time and system capabilities or lack of the same. If there was engagement and interest, it sometimes is easily lost.

• We have four sites spread out between two counties and it is very difficult to get everyone on the same page and have them engaged. We are in the process of revamping all job descriptions, to include our mission,vision and value statement along with a revised standard of behavior policy and we even created an embracing excellence pledge. With the hopes of getting everyone engaged. I am hoping to get this rolled out next month. Its a huge campaign with poster, signs, badge stickers.

• I’ve been with my organization coming up on one year as a senior leader but not much depth between the nurse and center managers and me. What I have learned is that from the recruitment to hiring and on-boarding this organization of 280 truly promotes their mission/vision and culture to be embraced. The leadership team embraces employee engagement by having an active welcoming committee where there’s a welcome banner with people’s signatures, a basket of goodies and a welcoming luncheon or breakfast planned for every new employee. Every new employee participates in a group luncheon with the CEO who shares her/organization’s mission. Our HR department and the employee engagement committee works hard to also ensure that all levels of the staff engage in their recognition program.

• This are all very good comments; some I can see using to improve engagement in our organization. At our onboarding process, we provide the new hire a “goodie bag” with a water bottle, lanyard, badge reel, note pad, etc. I like the idea of a breakfast or lunch as a welcome to a group of new hires (monthly or qtrly). I’m taking this idea to the team!

• I feel the biggest obstacle is Time. It is difficult to be engaged across the board with all departments and disciplines with so many responsibilities. That is why it is important that the organization have supervisors/managers who are engaged daily with the employees of their department and performing job tasks along side them. We have weekly meetings that starts with the quality team on week 1 and 2, individual departments meet together week 3 and all employees together week 4 This allows us to have employee input on the processes they perform daily It also allows open discussions as a group about how process changes affect each department and then collaboratively discuss solutions then revaluate how the process changes worked. The employees are the face of the organization and the hands performing the task daily so it is important for productivity and job satisfaction that the employees have a voice of input

• Senior management buy in, participation and support.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?

X