You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 5 months ago by Jennifer Blackmon.

• Author

• Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow. Please be ready to engage, discuss, learn, and enjoy. The presentation for tomorrow’s session is attached in the “Resources” section. Also remember to bring your homework with you and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out. Thank you!

• Good morning,

Happy Wednesday!

I thought I would share my homework response as my computer does not have a camera and I always seem to have audio challenges.

While there is always room for improvement, I believe I posses the foundation for supporting the whole person. I am constantly re-evaluating myself and make improvement.

Intellectual – I am very logical and think big picture. I am respectful and well respected
      Emotional – I lead by example, I offer sincere support, I am empathetic and I am trustworthy and easy to talk to
      Physical – I am very mindful of body language, my own and others. When meeting with someone, i always provide my undivided attention (i.e. I let calls go to voice mail)
      Intentional – I am authentic, consistent and inclusive. I do not single out individuals in publicly; I will privately if warranted, but in a constructive manner. I counsel vs. reprimand (even when terminating someone).

The 5 ways I support my team:

1) Regular Check-ins
      2) Provide clear expectation
      3) I a good communicator/ good listener
      4) I have and practice an open-door policy
      5) I encourage and motivate staff, especially during challenging times

What I would like to start doing:

1) Create a formal Training and Development Program
      2) Expand our recognition program
      3) Provide professional growth and development assistance

• Hi Sandra,

Thank you for sharing your detailed and well thought out responses to session 3’s homework. The insight you have about yourself, your work as a manager, and your team is very inspirational and shows the way you practice empathetic, two-way communication that is rooted in a strong sense of self and understanding for the needs of your team.

If you are unable to share in the next session due to camera and audio issues and would like to, I am more than happy to share some of your responses with the team.

Thanks,
        Michelle

• Hi, Sandra:

I LOVE your responses and awareness of how you support your team. The things you want to start doing are solid and will definitely help with the advancement of your team. As you consider expanding your recognition program I recommend asking your team members how they prefer to be shown appreciation. You can ask them a question similar to the one I asked the group “in what ways do you feel appreciated?” Or “In the workplace, how do you know if you are appreciated?” Create the space for them to give examples and you will see what’s important to them. In the development of your training program, consider what skills are need in the short and long term.

Keep up the great work and commitment to your people!

~April

• Good morning April,

Thank you for your feedback… it is appreciated!

Have a wonderful day!

• Do you have some examples of metrics that new managers should be looking at to gauge how well a staff member is performing? In my clinica setting we look at things like wait times for next available appointments, cycle times of visits, productivity amongst the providers, and customer satisfaction scores. What are some other metric examples?

• Hi Jennifer,

Let me follow up with the STAR² Center team to get you the most accurate answer.

Thanks,
        Michelle

• Hi Jennifer,

One of the other metrics mentioned by the team is employee turnover – when looking at staff members who supervise others, but when looking at the team as a whole it is also a very important metric. This is also a good question to bring up during session 4 to see if any of the other cohort participants have any other metrics they use.

Thanks,
        Michelle

• Hi, Jennifer:

This is a great question! The metrics that you adopted for your clinical setting are some of the most commonly used and can often be tweaked for individual performance. When it comes to the employee you want to seek out “people metrics” and the best approach is to establish goals that can have the SMART method applied (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timebound).

Begin with the job description – what should they be doing, to what level of success/completion, and by when? Quality and quantity metrics should be included and consider using a satisfaction survey to simply see how they are connecting with the work and the environment.

Consider words like:
        – process
        – complete
        – designed
        – develop
        – complete
        …. to establish metrics.

Those words make it about the person. You can also sit with the team member and construct unique metrics. I recently had a team complete a survey and I asked them, “how do you measure success in your role?” and the answers ranged from meeting deadlines, saving the company money to the feedback they receive from providers.

In the words of Stephen Covey, “Begin with the end in mind” …. what needs to be done and what milestones can/should be met to ensure they are on the path to achieve it.

I hope this helps! We can definitely go deeper during the town hall if you want to share one roll you are considering.

~April

• Thank you!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?

X